Sunday, March 4, 2007

Entry for February 21, 2007

DSCN0269

I read a few articles in the paper that made think. One was "What lies Beneath" by Andrea Gordon of TheToronto Star, a girl diagnosed with Bipolar at at very early age and treated with antipsychotics. The description of her behaviour is very similar to a High functioning autistic or Aspergers. Made me wonder if mental illness really exists in children.... Her mother is concerned of her future as she is approaching her teens.

Then I saw in CBC NewsWorld The national "Finding Normal", about a child diagnosed with ADHD, eventually state-cared and giving more psychiatric diagnosis and more drugs until his grandparents intervened and with the help of a psychologist Dr. Mackay became his guardians.

Dr. Wendy Roberts assisted with his detox.

His grandparents said something I had been saying about Danny, that their grandson J. 'was giving mental disorders that he didn't have and drugs that he didn't need'.

I wonder how many children like J. are out there and also how many adults like my son in state-funded group homes are diagnosed with psychiatric disorders that they don't have and given drugs that don't need.

Now, I read about "New genetic link to autism" that is located on the chromosome 11 and affects especifically a gene called neurexin 1 and that 's not all, autism probably involves more than 100 genes. The question I have is what terrible things we had done to the human DNA? Scientist can retrace our evolutionary steps to when we were a one cell molecule but cannot retrace what factor/s has damaged our DNA? I read that our genes are changing/mutating all the time and that is a "normal" way of life or for the better ???? No comfort there.

DSCN0271

No comments: